Tuesday, May 4, 2010

what defines a man?

so I wrote this a couple of months ago, after watching tv and seeing how poorly husbands (and men in general) are portrayed in popular media. It breaks my heart that people have the idea that it's "normal" for men to be lazy, biased, and intolerant. This poem-thing came out of it, and I've been thinking about it again recently.

I'm not perfect, I don't claim to be.
I let me wounds show when they need to, not when they don't.
I serve a higher calling then my own selfish wants and desires.
I set aside my needs to serve the greater good.
I live to protect. Physically, mentally, AND emotionally.
I do the right thing, even - especially - when it isn't easy.
I obey those above me without question; and, if so blessed, I treat those entrusted to me with respect.
I try to resolve issues without resorting to violence, but I am ready if violence is needed.
When I can't solve an issue, I go to those wiser then I for help.
I AM A MAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment